Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ebb and Flow

I've had this weird feeling lately. Like, wistfulness, but not for the past. You know how retro fashion has cycled through - back in the early 90's, Weedstock and a lot of psychedelia were fashionable Alice in Chains was nothing if not a metalled-up psych-rock band), then That 70's Show had everyone wearing a lot of brown, then a couple years ago we were already seeing a resurgence of pleather pants a la' the Reagan 80's? Now fashion is all over the map, since there's no "retro" to mine for ideas. I feel the same way with regards to the cultural zeitgeist - I pine not for any past (real or idealized) but rather the very present I'm experiencing. It's like, I can't really connect to what's actually going on around me, but I can still mourn and long for the imagined place I have in the mix.

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure that I'm not the idiot and those who I assume are idiots aren't the grand masters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home