Monday, October 25, 2004

Cobbled together musings

A married couple who I'm longtime friends with has a problem. They're having a baby in a couple months, but his parents won't even talk to them because they're not voting for Bush. They asked me how I deal with my own very conservative parents.

My dad handles it by being passive-aggressive. Well, he's like that all the way 'round, anymore, but specifically, when he comes over to help paint, he either does nothing, or does such a poor job I can't but think it's intentional. My mom, when I feed her data (as in, the Latin American countries in which abortion is legal have lower abortion rates than those where it's illegal, or, that the abortion rate was steadily declining 1.7%/year from 1976 to 2000, then has been going UP 3.5% since GWB came to power), does the rhetorical equivalent of plugging her ears with her fingers and braying, "LALALALALA".
When my dad made the claim that "the liberals have brainwashed" me, I countered with a two-pronged approach. First, that the single biggest factor in my exploring new viewpoints (Actually, I think I phrased it "the person who made me a liberal") was GWB. (not to mention that Republican chicks are SCAY-REE). The other tine of my rhetorical fork was a twisted compliment: that I don't follow my parents' political leanings in lockstep means that they did a good job raising me as an independent thinker.
One thing's for sure: if Bush wins, I expect every fucking Dem senator to remind the CNN viewers as much as possible that Bush does not have a mandate, and should not act as though he does.
When the court jester of rhetorical response (i.e. me) can immediately punch USS Cole-sized holes in every one of the administration's arguments without even trying, I can easily see why the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of fucking cowboys who've gone off the Prozac.
In other news, I've given up on dating...I make comments loudly in the bar about whatever comes to mind- that girl's got nice eyes but no butt, etc. It's not worth it. I mean, it's been a year since my last real g/f broke up with me, and I no longer talk to her, but I still get a chubby when I see a girl with her bodytype. I don't like what a fucking obsessive I've become, although the rest of who I've become I'm pretty proud of. Dating, it seems, is just a modern-day psy-ops ballet which costs a lot to get into the game, and to keep playing. No thanks, jacking off takes 15 minutes and kills my libido for the rest of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home